Wednesday, July 21, 2010

SCANDAL ABOUT A CANDIDATE FOR MELANCTHON MAYOR

Did you know that Mayoralty candidate Bill Hill has only been in the community since 1978.

OMG -see how silly that sounds?

I mean when can you ever remember Bill and his wife NOT being a part of the community? And seriously, does it matter?

My point is, and I do have one, us locals need to stop determining who we will vote on based on how long they have been in the community. I know people who have had family here for generations who have never been "community minded". I know a person who has lived in the community for less than two years and has become more involved in the community than most "local" people I know.

The "newcomers" ( and I mean anyone who hasn't lived here for four generations) pay the same taxes as the oldtimers and they have every right to be as interested, involved and opinionated as anyone.

A tree that does not bend in the wind breaks. A community that does not embrace diversity will die.

And by diversity I mean financial, generational, economic, geographical, educational, sexual, etc. etc. Well, really, anything that does not involve a 2,400 acre 200 foot open pit limestone mine that threatens our water source-without water we will certainly die.

Think strategically about who you will vote for on October 25, based on their political platform, not based on their ancestors. Because honestly, if we looked, we all have skeletons in our ancestral attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers