It's official! Now that the mega-quarry proposal has been withdrawn, "Stop the Quarry" has been re-branded as "Food & Water First" in a bid to ensure that foodlands and source water are not destroyed by aggregate extraction in Ontario.
Twitter: @FoodAndWaterFirst / #FoodAndWaterFirst
To take F&WF a step further, Dr. Faisal Moola of the David Suzuki Foundation (DSF), a key participant in stopping the mega-quarry, asked that we forward his report explaining that Ontarians must re-think development around the Golden Horseshoe to protect:
- local agriculture -- a thriving economic industry valued in the billions
- food security -- access to local food to feed our own population
- cleaner environment -- water filtration, plants for clean air, pollinator habitat, wildlife, natural spaces, etc.
There are many reasons why we are killing off the family farm and urban sprawl is just one. Ideally a lot would be accomplished if our society began to value farming and farmers as they should be valued. Then there would be a next generation of farmers to assume stewardship of the land. However, with their land-rich, low wage, few benefits lifestyle, we are leaving farm families little option but to sell out for development, thereby leaving our food production to large-scale farming operations by corporations.
Whatever the realities, it is important that we have an opinion. It is important that we know what is at stake. To that end, for my own edification, I have decided to go beyond aggregate and farming, and continue researching environmental issues that affect Ontarians.
So as a hobby I created a website to make research available to other people and, hopefully, give an unbiased viewpoint (not sponsored by companies) and save other people time.
Take a look at www.AWARE-Ontario.ca and tell me what you think.
To be clear, the website content is gathered through volunteer private amateur research for the purpose of allowing readers to make informed decisions. While the information is believed to be reliable, accuracy cannot be guaranteed.
1. If you would like to be added to a "Food & Water First" distribution list specifically, send me an email and I will make arrangements.
2. If you would like to be removed from either the "AWARE-Ontario" or "Friends of NDACT" distribution lists, do not hesitate to contact me.
Enjoy your day!
Minebuster here: I have posted this guest blog-however-if it takes away from one single reader of MY important ramblings, there will be trouble!!! :)