Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BUDGET

Anon comment on this site:

I am not impressed with Mr. Hill's past performance. I would ask your thoughts on the budget. If you are not concerned with it, what would you find as an acceptable tax increase to fight Highland and Energy 401?

To start with, I am NOT a fan of turbines, but I only have so much energy and financial resources and my focus right now is the 2,400 acre 200 foot open pit mine on prime agricultural land. If I have a choice, I will pick a turbine anyday-they are not permanent, a mine is here to stay. Well that isn't entirely true, the mine will disappear leaving a GIANT hole in the ground slowly filling with water.

Having said that, I personally would be in favour of a tax increase, perhaps a certain percentage levy on my taxes, to pay for fighting the mine. I do NOT however speak for anyone but myself. And since I am willing to have my taxes raised to fight a mine, I can hardly be a critic of my taxes going to fight turbines, which is a HUGE issue for many people.

The reality is, in 2008 Melancthon's own source revenue (which is tax revenue only-no OMPF or user fees, grants, etc.) came to $1,286,173.00, according to their FIR. Lets say in 2010 the assessment has gone up so Melancthon's own source revenue would be $1.4 million.

In order to generate the estimated $100,000.00 needed per year to fight the mine, would mean at LEAST a 7% tax levy on each assessed property. For me personallly it would be less than $.30 cents a day, and I am contributing a hell of alot more to grass roots organizations fighting this now, so yes I would have no problem. And it would be fair. The people fighting this on their own dime now, are doing it for everyone, so in my opinion, I think everyone should pay.

However there are alot of people out there for who this would be unmanageable financially. There are also, believe it or not, some people out there who think Highlands is going to generate jobs for them and save us all. And I mean people other than Ed Crewson and County and Melancthon Councils.

And if anything Lowndes says is to be believed, he told a ratepayer at his public meeting in July that "he" (Baupost group) pays $330,000.00 in taxes now. That would mean a 7% levy would cost him $23,100.00.

BUT, make no mistake, they will be applying for a reduction in taxes due to the 21 houses and structures they have removed have resulted in a reduced assessment. As well, they appeared not to know they are paying a residential rate on their farmland and I am sure the paperwork is already in the blower to have this land reassessed as farmland, which means they will be paying 25% of what they currently pay now.

You and I will be making up this shortfall of $82,500.00 which means ANOTHER increase for the rest of us on top of any levy.

Is it political suicide in an election year-probably. Is is the right thing to do, definately. Will Melancthon Councillors do it- NEVER.

6 comments:

  1. The problem with Melancthon's tax base is that it is already a mess. I have paid double what my neighbours across the road pay for years, but my income is no more than theirs nor I am likely to ever get more for my 2 acres of property and rennovated old home than they would for their 2 acres of property and rennovated old home. I pay more on my 2 acres than others pay on triple the acreage in Melancthon. What is the deal? Yet I know there are still others in Melancthon paying a third more than I do. I think, in general we would all be willing to pay more taxes to fight the mine if we felt Melancthon taxes were fairly distributed in the first place.This will be an issue to be raised with MPAC and the new council. There is no point even mentioning it with this council. That would be a waste of good air, which must be reserved as it will soon be polluted by the dust of the Highland mine if we don't oust every single member of the current council.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I would like to blame all the evils of our world on our local Council-the unfair and uneven assessment is the fault, as you point out of MPAC. And before you look at getting your property reassessed, be careful what you wish for-they might go up instead of down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In case you missed it, don't miss "High Stakes in the High County," Tim Shuff's excellent article on the Melancthon land use debate in our Fall 2009 issue at http://www.inthehills.ca/magazine/current/features/melancthon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not likely to go up. Been reassessed by the bank at a 25% decrease in value....think it could have anything to do with the 12 windmills out my window??

    ReplyDelete
  5. And don't forget, there was a recent case in Amaranth where MPAC reduced their assessment by 50% due to the turbines. That will be a good precedent for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have added this comment to this posting:

    And since I am willing to have my taxes raised to fight a mine, I can hardly be a critic of my taxes going to fight turbines, which is a HUGE issue for many people.

    ReplyDelete

Followers